Revisiting my Italian Free - Choice Reading Library

I have been curating my Italian library since long before I ever imagined I would be a teacher!


📚Where do you find materials for your Italian classroom library?

My Italian library began in my childhood as I inherited books(and Topolino comic books!)  from my cousins. I am always adding to my library and never deny my students access to any material based on their 'level'. They can pick whatever they want.
  
To help fundraise for your library I strongly suggest you create a public wishlist on Amazon(link to mine), create a project on Donors Choose and create a cart at Command Performance Books.

Here is an ever-growing list of places to obtain materials for your Italian classroom library:

Free or almost free 🆓

  • Restaurant menus 
  • Transportation schedules
  • Tourist brochures
  • Magazines
  • Store Circulars
  • Student created readers using the  template from here
  • CI non fiction readings from ProfeElote's database(consider contributing something of your own!)
  • Vikidia articles
  • PDF print outs from Italian elementary schoolds.
  • How-to booklets like this chess one in Italian
  • Reading created from Shared Writing
  • The Leggiamo site
  • Easy Italian News articles


Paid💰


📚Why have a classroom library?

Self-selected reading allows students to read about things that are interesting to them and helps cultivate their vocabulary as well as their imagination.<-Click to Tweet!
“There is massive evidence that self-selected reading, or reading what you want to read, is responsible for most of our literacy development. Readers have better reading ability, know more vocabulary, write better, spell better, and have better control of complex grammatical constructions. In fact, it is impossible to develop high levels of literacy without being a .dedicated reader, and dedicated readers rarely have serious problems in reading and writing.” ― Krashen Stephen D.
Read more here about Pleasure ReadingThe Benefits of FCR, & Free Voluntary Reading

Watch this to see my what my library holds:  ↓












Let me know in the comments where you find resources for your library!


 A presto,
  
  p.s. Join my our #virtualPLN on Facebook


 
Italian Comprehensible Input(CI), TPRS, eccetera
Private group · 125 members
Join Group
A collegial group to share ideas about teaching Italian with Comprehensible Input, TPRS and more. Questo gruppo è per insegnanti d'italiano. Condividi...
 
Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following us

Popular Posts